Trademark application in Fiji is either national or based on a national UK registration certificate issued by the United Kingdom Comptroller-General (and not an EU or Madrid registration). Applications for independent registration undergo examination and advertising for opposition before registration, whereas “UK-based” applications are to be registered as of right without examination, advertising or opposition. Priority rights under the Paris Convention do not apply in Fiji as it is not a signatory to the Convention. We use the old British trademark classes and not the international Nice classes, so goods in international Nice classes would need to be reclassified into the relevant local classes.
In order to file a Trademark in Fiji, we need the following documents/information in order to file the application:
- A list of the goods on which the applicant proposes to use its trademark;
- An electronic image of the trademark;
- A signed original of the Authorisation of Agent;
- A completed form of the Information Sheet;
- Filing details including the proper name, address, and occupation of the applicant;
- If the local application is to be UK-based, we will also need a certified copy of the United Kingdom registration certificate issued by the UK Comptroller General.
The estimated time frame for completion is approximately 12-18 months.
Should you require further information, please contact us at [email protected]